How Often Should Your Garage Door Be Serviced?
Ideally, your garage door will open and close smoothly each time you press the button—but that’s less likely to happen as it should as your door ages and goes through normal wear and tear. The best way to ensure proper functionality is to hire a professional for routine maintenance.
Read on to learn how often to service a garage door.
Once a year
Hiring a professional to service your garage door once a year is the best way to keep it in perfect condition and to prolong its lifespan. While this service can be performed at any time, we recommend scheduling it sooner rather than later to ensure your door is functional throughout the winter when you need it the most.
During the service call, your technician will lubricate the rollers and tracks to keep the door opening and closing smoothly. The garage door pro will also detach the door from the lift to check the alignment and make any necessary adjustments. Finally, they’ll test the safety sensors to guarantee the door stops when there’s an obstruction in the way.
Other signs it needs service
The answer isn’t always once a year when it comes to how often to service a garage door. These are a few signs that it’s time to call a professional to look at your door:
- No functionality: Obviously, if your door won’t open or close when you press the button, you’ll need to hire a technician to take a look at it. Whether it’s an issue with the motor, sensors, rollers or something else, your technician can identify the problem and set it straight in no time.
- Slow to open or close: As we touched on, garage door yearly maintenance can keep your door opening and closing as smoothly as possible. If it’s slow to work or only closes part way, call a technician to service it. Your pro can replace any necessary components to get it back on track.
- Shaking: The door may shake as it’s opening or closing—this isn’t something to take lightly! A shaky door is most likely misaligned and poses the risk of coming detached at any moment.
- Strange noises: Garage doors always make a little bit of noise while they’re running, but you shouldn’t hear any loud banging or creaking sounds. A door that sounds strange could be failing, so call a professional to see what’s wrong.
- Dented panels: Your door may open just fine, but you should hire a repairman if the exterior panels are damaged. A dented door looks shoddy and can be a safety hazard. Our team at Denton Overhead Door & Garage Door Repair specializes in panel replacement, so give us a call.
We’re your go-to garage team
Don’t trust anyone but Denton Overhead Door & Garage Door Repair to work on your garage door. From installing new motors to garage door yearly maintenance and everything in between, we offer all of the garage door services you need to keep your door looking great and in working order.
Categorised in: Garage Door Maintenance