Common Causes of Garage Door Issues
Garage door yearly maintenance and routine inspections can help ensure your garage door lasts a long time. However, even after providing your garage door with routine maintenance, it can sometimes experience issues. These issues might include your garage door not closing all the way, or taking a long time to open. Whatever the problem, it’s important to have your garage door fixed before it gets much worse.
Common causes of garage door problems include broken springs, worn-out rollers and more. Read on to learn more about these issues. We also provide information on how often to service a garage door:
- Dead battery: Sometimes, there’s a simple solution to your garage door issue. If your battery-powered garage door isn’t working, the battery could be dead. Before attempting any major repairs, make sure a dead battery isn’t the issue. If it is, you’d simply need to replace it.
- Worn-out rollers: As mentioned above, worn-out rollers are a common cause of garage door issues. This is because the rollers are responsible for allowing the garage door to glide along the tracks. Worn rollers could cause your garage door to have trouble opening and closing. Over time, this can cause major wear and tear to the door itself. Part of your garage door’s yearly maintenance regimen should include inspecting the rollers for wear.
- Problems with the springs: Be sure to check your springs on a regular basis. Springs that experience too much pressure will break over time. Just one broken spring could cause major issues for your garage door system, which is why it’s important to replace them right away. Anything involving the garage door springs requires assistance from a trusted technician—an accident involving a spring can be deadly.
- Blown fuse: A garage door system that runs on electricity will experience issues if there’s a blown fuse. A blown fuse could even cause your door to stop working completely. This is a repair that’s definitely best left to an expert. You should never try to work with electricity, especially if you don’t have any experience. Doing so could result in major injuries.
- Harsh weather: No matter how well you maintain your garage door, harsh weather can sometimes damage it. The door’s weatherstripping will likely wear out over time, allowing moisture to seep into your garage. Excessive moisture can cause major issues, including the growth of mold. When it comes to the garage door system itself, moisture could easily damage certain components. That’s why it’s important to routinely check your weatherstripping, especially if there’s a large storm on the way.
As you can see, there are many things that can cause damage to your garage door. The best way of avoiding this damage is by providing your garage door with yearly maintenance. It’s also good to have a professional inspect your system for issues every now and again. How often you should service your garage door depends on a variety of factors, but once a year is a good rule of thumb.
If you’re garage door isn’t working for any reason, contact the experts at Denton Overhead Door & Garage Door Repair. We’ll come to inspect the door and fix any issues.
Categorised in: Garage Door Maintenance