Power outages can happen for a variety of reasons, from stormy weather to malfunctioning transformers. No matter why a power outage happens, though, it’s important to know how to handle the situation to minimize the disruption to your daily schedule. One of the biggest concerns you may have when the power goes out is how to use your garage during a power outage in Denton, TX. The good news is that it’s possible to get your garage door open during a power outage to avoid leaving your car trapped in the garage. Read on to find out how.
Step-by-step garage door opening instructions
To make sure you stay safe and keep your garage door protected from damage, it’s important to follow some simple steps when opening a garage door manually during a power outage. Here’s how to use your garage during a power outage in Denton, TX:
- Make sure your door is completely down: Before taking any other steps, make sure your garage door is in the down position. If your garage door is not down all the way, there’s a risk that attempting to open it manually will cause it to crash to the ground, leading to damage. If your garage door is stuck in the up position, it’s best to get help from a professional garage door technician to prevent damage.
- Pull the manual release handle: Next, locate the manual release handle on your garage door opener. This release handle is usually a red rope that hangs down from the opener. Pull down firmly on the manual release handle to put the garage door opener into manual mode.
- Manually open the garage door: Once the manual release handle is engaged and the garage door is in manual mode, pull the door up to open it. If the garage door is too heavy for you to lift, it’s possible there’s something wrong with the garage door springs. Trying to lift a garage door with damaged or broken springs can be dangerous, so contact a garage door technician for help if you encounter this problem.
- Re-engage the garage door carriage: After the power is back on and you’re ready to use your garage door again, re-engage the door carriage by pulling the manual release handle toward the garage door. This will reconnect the carriage to the garage door mechanism to engage automatic garage door operation.
- Reconnect the trolley to the opener carriage: After pulling the manual release handle toward the garage door, activate your garage door opener by opening your garage door all the way up and then lowering it all the way down. During this cycle, you should hear a loud click indicating that the carriage has been engaged again.
Call for garage door repair services today
If you have more questions about how to use your garage during a power outage in Denton, TX or you’re in need of garage door services, reach out to the team at Denton Overhead Garage Door. For decades, we’ve been providing garage door repair and installation services to homes and businesses throughout the area. Find out more about what we have to offer by giving us a call today.
Categorised in: Garage Door Repair