Garages are very convenient and offer the perfect place to safely store a vehicle overnight. Unfortunately, garage doors can also cause property damage and injuries without proper safety precautions. The good news is that it doesn’t take a lot of effort to keep yourself, your family and your home safe. Keep reading for some simple safety tips for your home garage door in Denton, TX.
Safety tips for your home garage door
Modern garage doors are equipped with all kinds of safety features to keep people safe, but it’s still important to err on the side of caution when it comes to using garage doors. With that in mind, here are some of our best safety tips for your home garage door in Denton, TX:
- Do your homework: One of the best ways to improve safety when using your garage door is to familiarize yourself with your garage door owner’s manual. Owner’s manuals contain all kinds of important information about safe garage door operation and maintenance recommendations. This information can make it much easier to keep garage doors operating as smoothly and safely as possible for years to come.
- Keep garage door openers out of reach: A lot of garage door-related injuries happen as a result of small children playing with door openers. Make sure your garage door opener is out of reach of small children, and remind your kids that it’s important to keep a safe distance from the garage door when it’s opening and closing.
- Keep an eye out for signs of problems: Make sure your garage door stays in the best condition possible by conducting a visual inspection from time to time. Take a look at the garage door and the opener mechanisms to check for signs of wear, tear, corrosion and damage that might take a toll on your garage door’s safety or performance.
- Test the reversing mechanism: A garage door’s reversing mechanism is essential to keeping people safe by preventing the door from closing when there is something in its path. Test this mechanism by placing a small object, like a roll of paper towels, beneath the garage door. If the mechanism is working, the garage door will reverse directions before closing all the way. If this mechanism isn’t working, contact a professional technician for repair services as soon as possible.
- Invest in proactive repairs: Once you realize there’s something wrong with your garage door, it’s important to get the problem fixed as soon as you can. Don’t delay getting repairs, since this approach can make problems worse. Instead, have a garage door technician conduct an inspection and invest in recommended services and repairs to get your garage door working safely and effectively.
Schedule professional garage door maintenance and repairs
At Denton Overhead Garage Door, we know how important it is to follow safety tips for your home garage door in Denton, TX, and we are here to make sure your garage door is operating as safely and reliably as possible. With decades of experience providing garage door maintenance and repair services to our customers, our trained technicians have the skills and expertise necessary to address a wide variety of repair and installation needs for home and business owners. Find out more by giving us a call today.
Categorised in: Garage Door Inspection