Your garage is always going to be more susceptible to bugs and pests than other parts of your house. It’s important, especially if you have an attached garage, to take the appropriate steps to minimize pests’ presence so they do not cause any damage or create an unhealthy environment.
While it can be disturbing to uncover the presence of pests in your garage, it’s important that you take immediate action to remove them and to prevent future infestations from occurring. Some of the most common types of garage pests include rodents, flies, cockroaches, spiders, birds, moths, ants and silverfish.
Here are just a few steps you can take to prevent pests in the garage in Denton, TX:
- Check for cracks: Small pests can get through even very tiny cracks in the foundation or in other parts of the garage, so carefully inspect the walls, ceilings, foundation, doorways and windows. If you notice any cracks or gaps, seal them up with a silicone-based caulk whenever it’s appropriate to do so. Consider installing weatherstripping at the bottoms of doors if there’s space between the door and the floor—not only will this help prevent pests from getting in, but it will also prevent air transference into and out of the home.
- Set up traps: If you know your garage is susceptible to pests, it can be beneficial to lay traps around entrances or potential vulnerable areas. Even if you’ve closed up some vulnerabilities, it can still be helpful to give your property some extra protection in case there are some critters that still manage to find a way in.
- Keep it clean: Clear out your garage and keep it as clean and orderly as possible. This means removing garbage and debris, replacing cardboard boxes with plastic storage containers, sweeping the floors, getting rid of yard waste, adjusting items on shelving to eliminate hiding spots and removing any sources of food. If you know there are moist spots, dry up standing water (using a portable fan if necessary) and do what you can to prevent further issues with moisture.
- Maintain the garage door: You should make it a point to engage in annual garage door maintenance and inspections to keep the door in good condition. Gaps between the floor and the weatherstripping can result in pests getting into the garage, so it’s important to replace the weatherstripping if it’s deteriorated. Damage to the garage door can also result in vulnerabilities that can be exploited by pests.
- Get rid of pests that have already gotten in: If you’re already dealing with an infestation, before you take any of the above steps it’s important to remove the pests that have already found their way in. This will typically involve getting a pest control company out to your property to handle the problem if it’s more than just a couple pests here and there.
For more information about the steps you can take to minimize bugs in your garage in Denton, TX and avoid other issues with pests, contact Denton Overhead Garage Door with your questions.
Categorised in: Garage Door Maintenance