Although your to-do list around the house is long, one maintenance item that should never be left off the list is lubricating your garage door. Proper lubrication reduces friction between moving parts, ensures proper functionality and makes your door less noisy.
Customers ask us how often they should lubricate their garage doors in Denton, TX? We recommend lubricating springs, hinges and rollers every three months. The track should be lubricated about once a year. Continue reading to learn a little bit more about lubricating your garage door.
Where to lubricate
Several components of your garage door need to be lubricated to perform as they should. These are the most important parts to lube up:
- Tracks: As we just mentioned, the track should be lubricated once a year. However, it’s a good idea to wipe down the track every few months to reduce any dirt buildup that could lead to a malfunction.
- Springs: The torsion springs are responsible for lifting the door each and every day. After a while, their lubrication tends to wear thin, leading to annoying squeaks and squeals. Spray the springs with enough lubricant that they’ll move more easily, but not enough that the spray drips down to the floor.
- Hinges: Don’t forget about those hinges on the panels. Steel hinges should be lubricated at their pivot points. Plastic hinges, on the other hand, should be left alone. Lubricating plastic can damage it, meaning the hinges will need to be replaced.
- Rollers: The rollers also need to be well lubricated so the door comes up and down without a hitch. If your rollers have nylon wheels, make sure you only lubricate the bearings and not the nylon itself. You don’t need to be as careful with all-metal rollers, but don’t overdo it with the lubricant. After all, you don’t want that dripping down onto your car.
- Locks: This one isn’t a vital part of garage door lubrication in Denton, TX—and it probably doesn’t need to be done very often—but if the lock is hard to open and close, or if the key sticks, it doesn’t hurt to spray it with some lubricant.
Choosing the right lubricant
Just knowing how often to lubricate your garage door in Denton, TX isn’t enough—you also need to use the right grease or lubricant to get the job done. It’s crucial that you never use WD-40 to lubricate your garage door. While the product does help metal parts move easier, it’s not an actual lubricant. We recommend using a silicone spray or white lithium grease for all of your door’s moving parts. Aerosols are especially great for lubricating those small, hard-to-reach areas.
Come to Denton Overhead Garage Door for all of your door maintenance needs!
Garage door lubrication in Denton, TX is only a small part of necessary garage door maintenance, and it’s probably the only maintenance task you should do yourself. For everything else, call our team at Denton Overhead Garage Door. On top of providing top-notch services, we also offer a variety of discount coupons!
Categorised in: Garage Door Maintenance